I first chanced upon the mention of garbage enzyme in the Green Culture forum, in a thread mentioning home-made fertilizers. Intrigued, I went to Google up some sites which state that the enzyme is made from kitchen green wastes and/or garden green wastes.

I like to conserve things, and the idea of not wasting even scraps appealed very much to me. Thus, in mid 2009, I set about to making my first experimental trial of a small container of the enzyme. For my first batch, I used scraps like spoilt mulberry leaves, onion skins, orange and lemon peels, apple pulp, and such.

After that, I added about ten tablespoonfuls of raw sugar, and filled the container with water till it reached a space of 2cm away from the brink. This air space is needed, because during the first month of supposed decomposition, a lot of air is created. If the water had touched the brim, and if the container lid weren’t opened frequently to let air escape, then the lid might pop off or the container would explode.

The scraps should be left in the container for a minimum of three months, with the first month being slightly more tedious – you’d need to open the lid frequently to let air escape. After the first month, you can leave the container alone.

I matured my first batch for five months. After I opened it up, it smelled pungent like apple cider vinegar.

Once the enzyme is matured, filter off all the waste from the liquid, and use the liquid as a diluted foliar spray for plants.

Personal experience: I have had it work in a dilution of 1ml GE to about 50ml of water. As a fertilizer, I have not seen much effect on the plants, whether as a foliar spray or direct watering into the soil. However, with some experiments on my part, I have noticed that it works well in killing pests which breathe through their skin, such as on red spider mites, and on scales and mealy bugs.

Uses of garbage enzyme: Anything from cleaning sofas to adding to shampoos to killing pests etc.

Advertisements