(G.E.) (Pest control) Garbage enzyme and scale insects

Leave a comment

Garbage enzyme has been a really useful household product for me. I’ve Googled and read some pages where people say there are no hard scientific papers which back up the uses of the G.E., and I agree on that.

However, I believe that personal experiences do contribute a little to whether the G.E. really works or not. And for me, it has shown that it works, especially on pests which breathe through their skin, such as scale insects or mealy bugs or red spider mites.

Today, I found out that both my variegated peppermint plants were infected with scales. By infected, I mean hundreds of insects on my plants. It was horrifying. Out came the G.E. and I sprayed liberally.

There’s an interesting (or perhaps not so) thing I’ve noticed with scales – when they’re alive and you try to pry them off, you will have to angle a pointed object at the right angle beneath the carapace of the insect, and then flick it off hard. To know if it’s alive or not, if it takes you more than a few tries to get it off, well, it is; and if, with one casual scrape, the carapaces come off, then they’re dead.

After the liberal spraying of the G.E., I used the pointed end of my plant tag to push against the carapaces. ALL (yes, all) of them came off with minimal help from me.

Whatever the lack of scientific evidences, I know that G.E. helps me in gardening at the very least. Or, at least, with killing scale insects.

(G.E.) Garbage enzyme

Leave a comment

I first chanced upon the mention of garbage enzyme in the Green Culture forum, in a thread mentioning home-made fertilizers. Intrigued, I went to Google up some sites which state that the enzyme is made from kitchen green wastes and/or garden green wastes.

I like to conserve things, and the idea of not wasting even scraps appealed very much to me. Thus, in mid 2009, I set about to making my first experimental trial of a small container of the enzyme. For my first batch, I used scraps like spoilt mulberry leaves, onion skins, orange and lemon peels, apple pulp, and such.

After that, I added about ten tablespoonfuls of raw sugar, and filled the container with water till it reached a space of 2cm away from the brink. This air space is needed, because during the first month of supposed decomposition, a lot of air is created. If the water had touched the brim, and if the container lid weren’t opened frequently to let air escape, then the lid might pop off or the container would explode.

The scraps should be left in the container for a minimum of three months, with the first month being slightly more tedious – you’d need to open the lid frequently to let air escape. After the first month, you can leave the container alone.

I matured my first batch for five months. After I opened it up, it smelled pungent like apple cider vinegar.

Once the enzyme is matured, filter off all the waste from the liquid, and use the liquid as a diluted foliar spray for plants.

Personal experience: I have had it work in a dilution of 1ml GE to about 50ml of water. As a fertilizer, I have not seen much effect on the plants, whether as a foliar spray or direct watering into the soil. However, with some experiments on my part, I have noticed that it works well in killing pests which breathe through their skin, such as on red spider mites, and on scales and mealy bugs.

Uses of garbage enzyme: Anything from cleaning sofas to adding to shampoos to killing pests etc.

%d bloggers like this: